OpenPKG is a flexible and powerful software packaging facility that eases installation and administration of Unix software across several platforms.
Consolidating different vendor approaches into a unified architecture, it assists in administration of large networks previously complicated by nonconformant systems. It uses RPM to provide an additional system layer on top of the operating system.
It is fully self-contained (no RPM pre-installation is required), installs itself by means of a tricky bootstrapping procedure with minimal operating system intrusion, and supports multiple installation instances.
Here are some key features of "OpenPKG":
· Portable across major Unix platforms.
· Available for FreeBSD 4.11/5.4/6.0/7.0, NetBSD 2.0, Sun Solaris 8/9/10, Debian GNU/Linux 3.1, Fedora Core 4, RedHat Enterprise Linux 4, Novell SUSE Linux 9.3/10, Gentoo Linux 1.12.0, Mandriva Linux 10.2.
· Already known to work for IBM AIX 5.1, HP HPUX 11.11.
· Release 2.5 consists of 579 packages.
· Entirely based on Open Source software technology.
· Operating System interference minimized.
· Streamlined software packaging.
· Easy installation, updating and deinstallation of packages.
· Bundled with useful and secure package preconfigurations.
· Includes an abstracted and powerful run-command facility.
· Virtual hosting through multiple instances on a single system.
· Proxy packages for reusing packages across instances.
· Build-time package variations for maximum flexibility.
· Foundation to build self-contained environments.
What's New in This Release:
· This release consists of 579 selected packages which include the latest versions of all popular Unix server software.
· All software is carefully packaged for easy deployment on 19 different Unix platforms.
· The major technical efforts for this release were spent on migrating to the GNU Compiler Collection (GCC) version 4.0 and further improving the Solaris 10 support and adding full support for the new FreeBSD 6.0 and SUSE 10.0 platforms.