GlassWorks is a free and powerful install builder tool.
Desktop integration on Linux and other Unix type platforms requires the desktop environment to support the Freedesktop.org standards, more specifically the desktop entry, shared mime info and autostart specifications.
Links and file type associations allow you specify an icon to be displayed, this icon must be provided in the appropriate format for the platform, ico files for Windows, icns files for Macintosh OSX and png for Linux/Unix systems.
Tools for creating icns files are very scarce on platforms other than Macintosh OSX so GlassWorks includes a tool for creating these files, IcnWriter.
- Create links to quickly launch your application. On Macintosh OSX app bundles are created, on other platforms links are created in the menu or desktop.
- Associate your application with files by extension or mimetype.
- Run your application on startup (Windows and Linux only).
- Install files to user selected or predefined locations.
- Produce compact pack200 compressed installers.
- Display software licenses in either plain text or html format.
- Customise messages and logos displayed to users.
- Customise the look and feel of the installer.
- Restrict actions to specific operating systems.
- Installer and uninstaller/setup applications can be run using a command line interface.
In a hurry? Add it to your Download Basket!
What's New in This Release:
- Links will now have their working directory set to be the target's directory (if
- Improved look and feel functionality
- Links created on Linux and Unix based systems will now be marked as executable.