While the NTFS-3G project globally aims at providing a stable NTFS driver for several operating systems such as Linux, FreeBSD, Mac OS X, Solaris etc., the advanced branch specifically aims at developing, maturing, and releasing features to get user feedback before they are integrated in the main branch.
The Advanced NTFS-3G Features branch is designed as an add-on to the latest stable release, to benefit from all the improvements and fixes integrated in the main branch. This facilitates the subsequent integration of the newer features both for the developer and the user.
An open source ntfs driver which offers read-write support for NTFS hard drives.
ntfs-3g driver is an open source, GPL licensed, third generation Linux NTFS driver for 32-bit, little-endian architectures which was implemented by the Linux-NTFS project. It provides full read-write access to NTFS, excluding access to encrypted files, writing compressed files, changing file ownership, access right.
Technically it's based on and a major improvement to the third generation Linux NTFS driver, ntfsmount. The improvements includes functionality, quality and performance enhancements.
Here are some key features of "ntfs-3g (Advanced NTFS-3G Features)":
· File ownership and permissions : the ownership and permissions of files, implemented according to POSIX rules, are interoperable with Windows.
· POSIX ACLs : the ACLs, are an extension to ownership and permissions, as defined in a POSIX draft.
· Junction points : the junction points and symbolic links created by Windows are seen as symbolic links.
· Optimizations : frequently used data are cached to improve speed.
· Access to NTFS Internal data : a few useful internal data are mapped to extended attributes for easier access.
· Tools for managing ownership, permissions and ACLs : secaudit checks the integrity of ownership, permissions and ACL, usermap gives help to configure ownership.
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· This release implements security, trusted, and open name spaces for extended attributes.
· It relocates the extended attributes mapping code for NTFS attribs, and has been updated for ntfs-3g-2009.1.1.