Zero Install 0.1.27
Zero Install is a system for running software without needing to install it.
Caching makes this as fast as running a normal application after the first time, and allows off-line use.
- Software is only ever cached, not installed. Anyone can run any software, and nothing is run as root.
- Running a program is done in the same way whether it's cached or not.
- Running cached software is as fast as running traditionally-installed software.
- Zero Install is both simpler and more secure than traditional packaging systems.
- Software can be removed from the cache to free space without affecting the behaviour of the system (it will be re-cached on demand).
- You can still run a program you cached last week, without using the net again.