Virtual LargeFile System for LUFS 0.3
Virtual LargeFile System for LUFS is an overlaying filesystem for storing very large files on FAT32 and similar.
The workaround is simple: the file is stored in small files (chunks) on the real filesystem using the same method and naming scheme as the split utility.
To install lvfs, you need the prepatched LUFS package or the original version from the LUFS homepage and the patch (see above).
To patch LUFS, do
patch -p0 < ...patchfile
The rest as usual:
(as root) make install
(as root) insmod 2.6/lufs.ko
(or the equivalent for 2.4/lufs.o)
· chunk files must be named after foo.XY (where XY follows the split(1) scheme)
· chunk size is limited to 2GB
· Link/Symlink operations not possible with virtual files
· no cache update functions - you will see wrong data if you work on directly on underlying filesystem
What's New in This Release:
· In LUFS, version 0.9.7, the kernel module misses an internal cast so virtual files contain the wrong data over 4GB. The vlfs patch contains fixes, but make sure that you compile and install the fixed module.