Snes9X is a Super Nintendo Entertainment System emulator.
Snes9x is a portable, freeware Super Nintendo Entertainment System (SNES) emulator.
It basically allows you to play most games designed for the SNES and Super Famicom Nintendo game systems on your PC or Workstation; which includes some real gems that were only ever released in Japan.
Snes9x is the result of well over three years worth of part-time hacking, coding, recoding, debugging, divorce, etc. (just kidding about the divorce bit). Snes9x is coded in C++, with three assembler CPU emulation cores on the i386 Linux and Windows ports.
Currently there are many ports of Snes9x available, please check the download page to see if a port exists for your system.
Here are some key features of "Snes9X":
· ability to save in any location of the game, despite how the game was designed it's amazingly useful when you don't want to redo the same level over and over.
· built-in peripherals. This is anything from multi-taps, to super scopes, to cheat devices.
· ability to rip sprites and music for your own personal use
· easier to organize and no stacks of cartridges that scare off non-nerdish women.
· filters can be used to enhance graphics on old games.
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· Added DSP1 and SuperFX savestate support. (nitsuja)
· Added screen state GFX to save states. (optional) (nitsuja)
· Fixed desync when loading inconsistent state in playback. (nitsuja)
· When playback reaches a movie's end, recording continues instead of the movie suddenly closing. (after recording) (nitsuja)
· can now record resets and mouse/superscope/justifier(s) (nitsuja)
· Added same-line-comment support for config files. (nitsuja)
· input display for all controllers (including peripherals) (nitsuja)
· "Fake Mute" desync workaround option for movies, until all ports have deterministic sound. (Bisqwit, nitsuja)
· Fix for save state blocks > 999999 bytes. (Bisqwit)
· C4 games now save C4 data in save states. (DeHackEd)
· Unix: Framework for high-speed seeking. Specify a frame number in a movie, and the emulator will run at maximum speed to that frame. Untested. (DeHackEd)
· X11: Support for window exposure. When a window is damaged due to overlay, being iconified, etc. it will be repainted correctly. (DeHackEd)
· Unix: parameter: -autodemo loads a movie for playback on startup. Only the x11 code handles this right now. (DeHackEd)
· Unix: parameter: -oldturbo, the turbo button renders all frames when fast-forwarding. (DeHackEd)
· Unix: parameter: -upanddown, override U+D and L+R protection. (DeHackEd)
· Unix: parameter: -mute, currently linux only, blocks out audio output from your speakers while still emulating sound. Not fully tested. (DeHackEd)
· Unix: parameter: -maxframes during movie playback, snes9x will exit when the target is hit. (DeHackEd)
· Unix: parameter: -keypress shows to stderr and on-screen the currently pressed buttons on joypad 1. (DeHackEd)
· Unix: Stream dumping (NOT COMPLETE). With -dumpstreams, raw video and raw audio are dumped to videostream%d.dat and audiostream%d.dat, where %d increments on each CPU reset, starting at zero. (DeHackEd)
· Unix: Non-blocking sound on Linux. It makes seeking nicer.(DeHackEd)
· Unix: Configurable sound device. (pierredavidbelanger)
· configure.in now requires a sufficiently new version of autoconf. (anomie)
· Fixed slow versions of branch opcodes. (anomie)
· Fixed the mosaic offset bug. (anomie)
· No sorting by priority in C4 command 00 00. MegaMan X2 can go behind the legs of the intro stage boss. (anomie)
· New RTO discovery, fixes Super Conflict: The Mideast title screen. (anomie, byuu)
· A 1->0 transition on $2100.7 causes OAM Address Reset. (anomie, byuu)
· The final HDMA Indirect Address load is only weird on the last channel of the scanline. Touge Densetsu Saisoku Battle problem solved. (anomie, byuu)
· Fixed BGnVOFS bug. Only HOFS needs ~&7 update. (byuu)
· Fixed superfluous VIRQ triggers. (zones)
· Fixed missing IRQ trigger just after the previous one. (zones)
· Fixed missing IRQ while writing to $4200. (zones)
· Fixed IRQ timing after WRAM refresh. (zones)
· Fixed NMA timing after DMA transfer. (zones)
· Fixed superfluous auto-joypad-reading. (zones)
· Fixed missing WRAM refresh during DMA transfer. (zones)
· Fixed DMA so that HDMA and any HC triggered events can run during DMA transfer. (zones)
· Roughly fixed the case that HDMA and DMA use the same channel at the same time. HDMA kills DMA. Thanks byuu. (zones)
· Changed initial DMA registers values. (zones)
· Slightly modified APU execute timings. (zones)
· Fixed APU I/O registers to get/set the proper value. (zones)
· Blocked invalid VRAM writings, though you can turn off this option due to Snes9x's inaccurate timings. (zones)
· Omitted SPCTOOL, no one uses it. (zones)
· Added Sufami Turbo support. (zones)
· Added Same Game add-on cart support. (zones)
· Fixed HiROM SRAM and DSP1-4 memory maps a little. (zones)
· Improved mirroring. (Nach, grinvader, byuu)
· CRC32 on BS dumps now follows uCONSRT standard. (Nach)
· BS dumps now always run in NTSC mode. (Nach)
· Unknown regions (generally betas) default to NTSC. (Nach)
· Now support NSRT headers for setting up controllers. (Nach, nitsuja)
· Unix: Fixed command line help output. (Nach)
· Unix: Sound now defaults to 32KHz, Stereo, Interpolation so Snes9x finally sounds like a real SNES by default. (Nach)
· Win32: Saner defaults for movie record. (Nach)
· Unix: Fixed crashing with mouse or super scope. (Nach)
· Removed some weird code which was crashing Korean League and its varients. (Nach)
· Win32: Can now compile with MinGW. (Jonas Quinn, Nach)
· Win32: Can now cross compile Snes9xw. (Nach)
· Unix: SSnes9x compiles again. (Nach)
· Win32: ZSNES C4 and SuperFX compiles once again. (Jonas Quinn)
· Unix: Netplay Fixes. (Nach)
· Unix: Netplay Improvements. (Fabianx)