An Open Source PowerPC MacOS run-time environment
However, you still need a copy of MacOS and a PowerMacintosh ROM image to use this program. SheepShaver is distributed under the terms of the GNU General Public License (GPL).
If you are using a PowerPC-based system, applications will run at native speeds (i.e. without any emulation involved). On other systems, SheepShaver provides the first PowerPC G4 emulator, though without MMU, to enable the execution of MacOS Classic.
Performance with the current CPU emulator using basic just-in-time (JIT) translation techniques is roughly 1/8-th of native speeds.
The following platforms are currently supported: Linux (i386, ppc, x86_64), MacOS X for ppc, Darwin, NetBSD 2.0, FreeBSD 5.3 and Windows for x86. Please note that I am pretty careless of the Windows version since I am not a Windows developer. You are heartly invited to join the effort!
NOTE: This webspace contains precompiled binaries and sources snapshots extracted from development CVS to ease testing until a formal release is available.
- SheepShaver runs MacOS 7.5.2 thru MacOS 9.0.4
- PowerPC G4 emulation on non-PowerPC platforms, direct execution otherwise
- Copy and paste of text between MacOS and the host OS
- File exchange with the host OS via a Unix icon on the Mac desktop
- Color video display with support for run-time resolution switching
- Run-time depth switching from 1 bpp to current host depth settings
- Native QuickDraw 2D acceleration for BitBlt and FillRect operations
- CD-quality stereo sound output
- Networking: SheepShaver supports Internet and LAN networking via Ethernet and PPP with all Open Transport compatible MacOS applications
In a hurry? Add it to your Download Basket!
What's New in This Release:
- The emulator now supports up to 1 GB of Mac memory.
- SLiRP network emulation performance was improved.
- A minor bug in Native QuickDraw acceleration has been fixed.
- A crash during MacOS 9 installation has been fixed.