Mephisto Backup is a simple backup program written in Java that wraps around TAR.
This program can do simple backups and syncs over a network or locally.It uses tar and rsync in the background. The key feature of this program is the ability to backup your system to an image and copy it to a Linux Live DVD for future restoration. The user can then take that cd and move his or her system to any PC.
How to run: cd into the folder, cd dist, java -jar *.jar.
How do I re-image a machine?
1. Add your backup file to a live cd using isomaster.
(Mephisto Backup 1.1 does this for you)
2. Boot the Live cd.
3. Format your partitions.
4. mount and extract the backup file.
5. mount -o bind /dev /mnt/dev
mount -o bind /sys /mnt/sys
mount -o bind /proc /mnt/proc
6. Use mkinitrd to generate a fresh initrd image
7. grub-install /dev/sda
Here are some key features of "Mephisto Backup":
· Backup Schedules.
· Restore your OS from the Mephisto Live CD. The live CD is used by Mephisto Backup to Restore your system only.
· Displays the size of your backup ISO and TAR file after each backup job is ran.
· Bug fixes and improvements.
· Restore CD works good with RedHat and Debian based systems.
· Blank DVD-RW’s.
· Java 2 Standard Edition Runtime Environment
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· New features were back-ported from v11 to increase stability because the 1.10 branch is going for stability.
· MephistoCD.java – Changed display to avoid confusion. Links are displayed for each CPU type.
· Restore.java – Checks to ensure that the initrd was created.