The renameutils package is a set of programs designed to make renaming of files faster and less cumbersome.
The file renaming utilities consists of five programs - qmv, qcp, imv, icp and deurlname.
The qmv ("quick move") program allows file names to be edited in a text editor. The names of all files in a directory are written to a text file, which is then edited by the user. The text file is read and parsed, and the changes are applied to the files.
The qcp ("quick cp") program works like qmv, but copies files instead of moving them.
The imv ("interactive move") program, is trivial but useful when you are too lazy to type (or even complete) the name of the file to rename twice. It allows a file name to be edited in the terminal using the GNU Readline library. icp copies files.
The deurlname program removes URL encoded characters (such as representing space) from file names. Some programs such as w3m tend to keep those characters encoded in saved files.
The file renaming utilities are written in C by Oskar Liljeblad, and is free software licensed under terms of the GNU General Public License.
Note that these programs come with no warranty whatsoever. They should be considered beta quality although I have carefully tested them and verified the code. This means that I can not be responsible for any data loss caused by the file renaming utilities. If you are afraid that that is going to happen, run qmv in dummy mode first (see below).
Here are some key features of "renameutils":
· Added new programs, icp and qcp (suggested by Mario Vanoni).
· Quote file names and strings before printing them (like GNU coreutils).
· Make use of more gnulib modules (quotearg, yesno, version-etc).
· Fixed a serious memory management-related bug in imv causing renaming to fail for no reason.
· Fixed a potential segmentation fault when printing a particular error message.
· Added copyright and license header to source files and manual pages.
Manual page updates:
· Added manual page for deurlname.
· Corrected grammar.
· Removed section in imv about placing it in the Midnight Commander menu.
· Gettext is now external (no intl directory).
· Use Gnulib properly (modules.gnulib and autogen.sh removed).
· Added debian package.
· Added MANIFEST.sources file.
· Fix potential bug in cross-reference solution code.
· Added documentation for qcmd --help from Stephen Kolupaev, thanks.
· GCC 2.95 or later
· The GNU C Compiler is recommended, but other compilers might work.
· GNU libintl
· This is needed for localisation. If you don't have it, you can use the --disable-nls option with the configure script.
· The following programs are required for proper operation of renameutils:
· GNU Readline Library (libreadline) 2.1 or later
· Both qmv and imv use readline.
· The unix `mv' command
· The imv program invokes `mv'.
· GNU libintl
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· This version fixes a -d bug and adds an ls variable.