Zip is a compression and file packaging utility for Unix, VMS, DOS, OS/2, Windows 9x/NT, Amiga, Atari, Macintosh, BeOS, SMS/QDOS, MVS, VM/CMS, and others.
Zip is analogous to a combination of the Unix commands tar(1) and compress(1) and is compatible with PKWARE's PKZIP and Nico Mak's WinZip. It's part of the Info-ZIP project.
Here are some key features of "Zip":
· creating zipfiles in a pipe or on a device
· VMS and OS/2 extended file attributes
· conversion between Unix, MS-DOS and Macintosh text file formats
· the ability to run on most of your favorite operating systems.
What's New in This Release:
· fixed -R operation to match the supplied file patterns in all recursed subdirectories, like PKZIP 2.04 "-p -r" (or PKZIPC 4+ "-recurse")
· handle cases where -x, -R, and -i patterns are mixed
· new example C-Sharp code for using DLLs
· added some directory-search speedups
· fixed bug when encrypting large uncompressible files
· fixed Windows NTFS time problem
· fixed VMS logical name parse problem
· added VMS DEBUG option
· updated VMS help
· fixed selection of files to delete by date
· added -MM option where each input file pattern must match at least one file and all input files must be readable
· added check for when Zip tries to exceed seek limit in output file
· minor changes to compile with Visual C++ 2005
· added support for Unix FIFOs (named pipes)
· other minor fixes