Parallel BZIP2 project is a parallel implementation of the bzip2 block- sorting file compressor that uses pthreads and achieves near-linear speedup on SMP machines. The output of this version is fully compatible with bzip2 1.0.2 (ie: anything compressed with PBZIP2 can be decompressed with bzip2).
PBZIP2 should work on any system that has a pthreads compatible C++ compiler (such as gcc). It has been tested on: Linux, Windows (cygwin & MinGW), Solaris, Tru64/OSF1, HP-UX, and Irix.
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· Fixed bug - deadlock due to unsynchronized broadcasts (bug #876686)
· Prevent deletion of input files on error (bug #874543)
· Document how to compress/decompress from standard input (bug #820525)
· Added more detailed kernel error messages (bug #874605)
· Fixes for error handling in muliti-file processing (bug #883782)