Endian Firewall is a "turn-key" linux security distribution based on IPCop that turns every system into a full featured security appliance. Endian Firewall has been designed with "usability in mind" and is very easy to install, use and mange, without loosing its flexibility.
The features include a stateful packet inspection firewall, application-level proxies for variuos protocols (HTTP, POP3, SMTP) with antivirus support, virus and spamfiltering for email traffic (POP and SMTP), content filtering of Web traffic and a "hassle free" VPN solution (based on OpenVPN). The main advantage of Endian Firewall is that it is a pure "Open Source" solution that is commercially supported by Endian.
Here are some key features of "Endian Firewall Community":
· Firewall (statefull inspection)
· Outgoing Firewall
· IPSec Gateway to gateway VPN
· IPSec Remote client to gateway VPN (roadwarrior)
· Multi-IP address support (aliases)
· Dynamic DNS
· DMZ support
· HTTPS Web Interface
· Detailed network traffic graphs
· View currently active connections
· Event log management
· Log redirection to external server
· Server DHCP
· Server NTP
· Traffic Shaping / QoS
· Transparent POP3 antivirus/antispam proxy
· Transparent HTTP proxy
· Web Proxy with local users, windows domain, samba, LDAP, radius server management
· Intrusion Detection System
· ADSL modem support
· Configuration backup and restore
· Remote update
Advanced Antivirus Module:
· HTTP Antivirus
· Endian Security Tools for Windows Desktop
· Transparent SMTP antivirus/antispam proxy
VPN Gateway Module:
· Gateway to gateway VPN with OpenVPN (http://openvpn.net/)
· Remote client to gateway VPN (roadwarrior) with OpenVPN (http://openvpn.net/)
· Bridged and Routed VPN mode
· Endian Client VPN Windows, Linux, MacOSX
Web Content Filter Module:
· URL filter
· Web content analysis/filter
· Whitelists and blacklists management
· Web surfing time limits
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· Connectivity – Support for most modern UMTS/3G USB dongles
· By adding new drivers Endian Firewall 2.5 now supports most modern UMTS/3G dongles. Once plugged in the appear as serial devices and can be configured by choosing Analog/UMTS modem as uplink type. You will find the newly created serial devices in the Serial/USB Port dropdown.
· System – Performance improvements
· The whole system startup procedure has been rewritten. Endian’s new jobsengine decreases the startup by 50 percent. Additionally major improvements have been made in memory usage. A fully configured system’s memory footprint has been reduced by more than 200 megabytes.
· Contentfilter – Configurable update intervals
· The contentfilter blacklists are now updatable through the GUI like for any other service and updates do not rely on the release of new packages anymore. The interval can be chosen from hourly, daily, weekly and monthly.
· Dashboard – Customizable through configurable widgets
· The new dashboard is now fully customizable through the use of configurable widgets. The update interval for all widgets can be set individually now, widgets can be placed by drag and drop and it is possible to deactivate widgets completely..
· Logging – Trusted timestamping
· Endian Firewall now supports trusted timestamping using OpenTSA. This feature allows you to make sure your log files have not been modified after they have been archived.
· Routing – Additional gateway options
· The policy based routing and static routing modules have been extended. It is now possible to use static gateways for routes as well as to route traffic through OpenVPN connections.
· Huge efforts have been made to create a very stable release. On the road to Endian Firewall Community 2.5.1 many small improvements have been made and hundreds of bugs have been fixed.