StatPlanet is an advanced interactive data visualization and mapping tool, used by organizations such as UNESCO, SACMEQ and the Global Environmental Facility to better communicate data. This free software can be used to create interactive graphs, charts and thematic maps (choropleth maps, proportional symbol maps and qualitative / descriptive maps).
StatPlanet can also be used as free educational software to learn about the world in subjects such as geography, health, economics and social studies. It includes data on demography & population, economy & development, education, environment & energy, health and gender.
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· Improved & easier map legend customization. Copy/paste map customizations from StatPlanet into the StatPlanet Data Editor;
· Visualization: animated time-series graph; bullet graph option;
· Text labels added automatically for custom maps with drag-and-drop positioning in StatPlanet;
· New customization options;
· Simplified data structure (data.csv), with settings in a separate file (settings.csv).
· For those updating from an older version: note that there is an extra column in v 2.3 (the first column). If you are copying data from a previous version, you need to paste the data one column further.
StatPanet Data Editor 1.4 released:
· additional customization options (see sheet 'Settings');
· improved data importing.
· IFPRI's Food Security Case Maps released in partnership with StatPlanet: Mapping Food Security & Climate Change Scenarios.
· GDX2StatPlanet released. (GDX = GAMS Data Exchange). GAMS is a high-level modeling system.
· an advanced version of StatPlanet for visualizing large data sets.
· Shapefile maps with over 250 regions supported.
· NDP Human Development Report 2010 released with StatPlanet.
· New data added: Drugs and Crime.
· New data added: Language, Political, and Environment (Elevation extremes, Waste).