GeoServer 1.6.5 / 1.7.0 RC4 / 2.1 RC5
GeoServer is a web feature server to share geographic information.
GeoServer is free software, available under the GPL 2.0 license.
Users who would like to access and modify their geographic data over the Internet using flexible, industry-approved standards should take a look at GeoServer or one of the existing commercial Web Feature Servers.
You can define your geoserver data directory in three ways:
1. "GEOSERVER_DATA_DIR" system property. this will most likely have come from "java -DGEOSERVER_DATA_DIR=..." or from you web container's GUI
2. "GEOSERVER_DATA_DIR" in the web.xml document:
< context-param >
< param-name >GEOSERVER_DATA_DIR< /param-name >
< param-value >c:myGeoserverData< /param-value >
< /context-param >
3. Defaults to the old behavior - ie. the application root - usually "server/geoserver" in your .WAR.
To make a new one of these data directories, just:
1. create the data directory
2. copy "data/" from an already running geoserver
3. create a "WEB-INF/" directory
5. copy "catalog.xml" and "services.xml" into the WEB-INF/ directory
In a hurry? Add it to your Download Basket!
What's New in version 2.0.0 RC2
- This release primarily fixes critical bugs found in RC1, and also has a number of documentation improvements.
- The notable new feature is the new security GUI extension module, which allows editing of security configuration files through the Web administration tool.