Bauble is a software created to help you manage a collection of botanical specimens. It is intended to be used by botanic gardens, herbaria, arboreta, etc. to manage their collection information. It is a open, free, cross-platform alternative to BG-Base and similiar software.
1. Download one of the Bauble archives.
2. Extract the archive to a directory.
3. Change to the Bauble directory where you extract the archive.
4. Type "python setup.py install" on the command line
5. To run Bauble type bauble on the command line.
Here are some key features of "Bauble":
· Bauble is designed to be simple, elegant and intuitive.
· Bauble is free. Bauble is licensed under the GPL which means you can download, distribute and change the source code for Bauble as long as the changes you make are also licensed under the GPL. This in no way affects the data you manage with Bauble.
· Bauble is cross-platform. Bauble supports both Linux and Windows and could easily be ported to other platforms if there was interest.
· Bauble supports a wide variety of database backends. It has been tested using SQLite, Postgres, and MySQL. In theory it will work with Sybase, Firebird/Interbase, and SapDB/MaxDB, Oracle and MSSQL.
· Bauble can generate reports through an XSL formatter backend. There is no fancy report designer but there is an interface that allows you to pass the results of a search through an XSL formatter. This allows you to layout your data any way you wish and save it in a just about any format you can imagine including PDF, XML, or HTML. Hopefully we'll get something a but more user(i.e. non-techy) friendly in the future.
· Bauble is transaction safe. All database queries and updates are done through a transaction so if in the process of editing a record you make a mistage you can always back out. Although once your changes are committed to the database there's no turning back.
· Bauble can export data in CSV or Access to Biological Collection Data (ABCD) format. In the future we hope to support other standard formats such as ITF2, BioCASE, TAPIR, etc.
· Bauble supports tagging. You can tag any arbitrary data stored in a Bauble managed database with arbitrary names. This way you can create collections of records organized the way you want with names you give them.
· ....and lots more.
· and a Postgres, MySQL, or SQLite database connector
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· Bauble no longer hemorrhages memory. Now once the application is started the memory usage stays pretty constant whereas before it would continue to grow until it filled up the entire universe.
· In previous versions you would get strange delays when doing things that required communication with a remote databases. Before it kept making new connections to do small tasks but now we reuse the same database connection throughout the application which gives pretty much everything a snappier feel.
· The CSV importer is now a little smarter about tables that have columns that reference the same table and when importing boolean columns.
· Every table in the database has a _last_updated column to record when a row in the table was last updated. Unfortunately it wasn't updating. Oops.
· Fixed some more obscure search queries.
· On MS Windows Bauble should now be pretty again.