VICS-II project is the next generation of VICS, which was originally developed by Fujio Izumi and Ruben A.
They started VENUS project in mid 2001. Although basic features were almost completed when I first knew about VENUS at the end of 2003, early version of VICS/VEND had serious performance issues and could not run well on my PC. So I started checking the sources and tried to fix it.
I committed some fixes to them but could not fix all issues because some of them are originated in programing model and some are originated in toolkit itself. At the end of June 2004, one of the main developer Dilanian leaved the project and both VICS and VEND became unlikely to continue its progress.
Then I decided to create new programs from scratch using some of original code and new toolkit called wxWidgets.
VICS-II runs on Windows, Mac OS X, Linux, and is contributed free of charge for non-commercial users.
The VENUS package comprises four independent programs:
· VICS: VIsualization of Crystal Structures
· VEND: Visualization of Electron/Nuclear Densities
· PRIMA: PRactice Iterative MEM Analyses
· ALBA: After Le Bail Analysis
· GTK+ version 2.4.x
· Mesa OpenGL libraries
· wxWidgets library is not required since it is statically linked.
What's New in This Release:
· Backported a new feature from VESTA to remove symmetry operation and to treat structure as "P 1".
· Added a feature to remove duplicate atoms. (Useful when converting a space group from "P 1" to higher symmetry one.)
· Enabled to treat complex lattice such as "C 1" and "F 1" for space group "P 1" and "P -1".
· Fixed a problem where CIF formats with rhombohedral lattice settings were treaded as hexagonal lattice.
· Read space group information properly from Wien2K formats.
· Fixed a bug where lattice plane was not properly displayed in a certain case.