Xplanet was inspired by Xearth, which renders an image of the earth into the X root window. All of the major planets and most satellites can be drawn, similar to the Solar System Simulator.
A number of different map projections are also supported, including azimuthal, Lambert, Mercator, orthographic, Mollweide and rectangular.
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· Add shadows from satellites on Saturn's rings, let brightness of rings go to zero as Saturn approaches equinox.
· Add trail_output option to satellite files to print out satellite positions.
· Calculate eclipse shadows a little past the terminator so they don't get cut off sharply.
· Reload satellite files in case TLE files are updated between renderings. Suggested by Lutz Mändle.
· Added Lambert Equal Area projection
· Check that -origin above or below is not specified for the Sun.
· Add patch from Doug Hawkins to support marker_* keywords in config file.
· Added the -label_body option. This is useful in conjunction with -separation to specify which body the label should apply to.
· Added the -separation option. This places the observer at a point in space where two bodies have the specified separation.
· Allow -glare 0 to remove sun glare.
· Fixed a bug where arcs were sometimes not drawn if they were vertical or horizontal lines.
· A thickness value may now be specified for arcs.
· Added max_radius and min_radius keywords to marker files. This disables drawing of the marker if the planet radius is larger than or smaller than the specified value, respectively.
· Fixed a bug where the arc color was not reset to the default color for subsequent arcs in the file.