AVSOMAT is a framework for automating the scheduling of variable star observations, identification and photometry of variable stars on CCD images, and the reporting, management, and verification of results. It uses electronic charts of the star fields in which variable stars appear, and maintains a view of the current results in the form of a collection of interlinked Web pages.
AVSOMAT is designed to increase the productivity of obtaining, reducing and reporting large numbers of CCD images of variable stars. It consists of a binary tool for reducing images and a collection of CommonLisp functions for dealing with collections of images, information about stars, former observations, etc.
Here are some key features of "AVSOMAT":
· planning observation sessions and generating gcx scripts; these are fed into gcx during observing runs and drive the pointing of the telescope to stars of interest and the exposure and storage of CCD images;
· reducing collections of images automatically, that is extracting the magnitude of stars in the image;
· producing aavso observation reports;
· maintaining a set of interlinked html pages with the observation results; these pages also contain links to aavso light curves for easy verification, and feedback forms;
· producing electronic starfield charts for automatic reduction;
· searching through collections of images by position.