Golly project is an open source, cross-platform Game of Life simulator currently under development by Andrew Trevorrow and Tomas Rokicki.
Our goal is to write a world-class Life simulator, solicit ideas and help from the planet's best Life hackers, and share some of our excitement.
Here are some key features of "The Golly Game of Life Simulator":
· Unbounded universe (limited only by memory).
· Fast, memory-efficient conventional algorithm.
· Super fast hashing algorithm for highly regular patterns.
· Responsive even while generating or garbage collecting.
· Reads RLE, Life 1.05/1.06, and macrocell formats.
· Can paste in patterns from the clipboard.
· Auto fit option keeps patterns sized to the window.
· Full screen option (no menu/status/tool/scroll bars).
· Built-in HTML help system (thanks to wxWidgets).
What's New in This Release:
· The X11 version of Golly has a number of bugs and limitations, so use the GTK version if you can (it requires GTK+ 2.x).
· If you want to build Golly from the source distribution then to avoid various bugs use wxGTK 2.7 or later.