DBI Membership Maintenance Scripts are designed to provide the basis of a self-maintaining Internet server providing various Web, news and/or email services to members of a club or society, with a CGI user interface and a database back-end accessed using The scripts are not designed to provide an interface for the system administrator for the maintenance of the membership records - alternative products such as dbengine (available for download at http://www.cis-computer.com/dbengine) are recommended for this.
In particular these scripts faciliate access to and maintenance of the following facilities, if supported on the server in question:
(a) Email aliases (multiple virtual domains supported)
(b) Web forwarding (eg. members.foo.org/jsmith to a named URL)
(c) Add authenticated reader access to an INN news server
(d) Maintain up-to-date mailing lists of all members
(e) Allow easy subscription/unsubscription to Majordomo lists
(f) Member access to specified fields of the membership
database with case insensitive substring searching
(g) Member maintenance of their own database record
Certain of these facilities require system administrator access to the system upon which the scripts are installed, but functionality of the membership database searching and maintenance facility does not require such privileges.
This suite of scripts is in part the successor to webaliases.pl by the same author, which was used to provide a Web interface for the maintainance of email aliases and Web forwarding for smail virtual domains. The disadvantages of that solution and the relative advantages of this suite of scripts are twofold: first, you can store a greater variety of membership information using the DBI database scheme supported by these scripts, and secondly, it is unnecessary to give the unprivileged Web user write access to alias or mailing list files.
· Perl DBI module 1.02 or greater
· Database for which a Perl DBD driver exists (eg. PostgreSQL, mySQL or Oracle)
· Perl DBIx::Recordset module 0.20-beta or greater
· Apache 1.3 or greater
· Apache::AuthenDBI module 0.81 or greater
· INN 1.7 or greater
· Smail 3.2 or greater or Exim 3.35 or greater
· Majordomo 1.94 or greater
Copy the following files into the following locations:
· index.html into a subdirectory of your Web directory, eg. "members" (for restricted members access)
· .htaccess into the same subdirectory
· members.pl into a CGI directory underneath the above
· fields.cfg into the same CGI directory
· header.html and footer.html into the same CGI directory
· redirect.pl into another CGI directory not underneath "members", eg. "membersweb" (for forwarding to members' Web sites)
· extractalias.pl into any directory (eg. /usr/local/sbin)
· newsaccess.pl into any directory (eg. /usr/local/sbin)
· createlist.pl into any directory (eg. /usr/local/sbin)
· .procmailrc and .forward into the news home directory (~news)
Make sure the files have correct permissions (chmod 755 *.pl).
What's New in This Release:
· Allows username and password to be specified for database access, allows shorter database domain, fixed bug with saved mailing list line duplication.