gitg is a git repository viewer targeting GTK+ and GNOME. One of its main objectives is to provide a more unified user experience for git frontends across multiple desktops. It does this not be writing a cross-platform application, but by close collaboration with similar clients for other operating systems (like GitX for OS X).
gitg targets cases where it is useful to provide a graphical representation of git data or actions. The history view is a good example where graphical representation helps to get an overview of the repository. gitg does not aim to be an advanced tool which allows access to every feature of git through a graphical interface, it will however try to incorporate common actions which might require multiple actions on the command line (like staging, unstaging, reverting and committing).
To install the latest version of gitg, make sure to download gitg-0.0.3.tar.bz2
from the download site. After downloading the following procedure installs
tar -xjf gitg-0.0.x.tar.bz2
sudo make install
For more information on installing gitg, please view INSTALL.
When gitg is installed, you can run gitg from the GNOME menu, or from a
terminal by issuing: 'gitg'. Type 'gitg --help' to show the options you can
specify on the command-line.
Here are some key features of "gitg":
· Browse revision history
· Handle large repositories (loads linux repository, 17000+ revisions, under 1 second)
· Commit changes
· Stage/unstage individual hunks
· Revert changes
· Show colorized diff of changes in revisions
· Browse tree for a given revision
· Export parts of the tree of a given revision
· Supply any refspec which a command such as 'git log' can understand to built the history
· Show and switch between branches in the history view
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· Allow redirection of stderr to stdout in shell/runner/io
· Added debugging of runner commands
· Better argument parsing (pass first argument to git log)
· Run commit-msg hook when commiting
· Improved format patch name mimicking git
· Added pre-commit and post-commit hook execution
· Use a checkbutton to switch the blame mode
· Change the single line (un)stage to use a pixbuf renderer
· Fix segvs in arguments and environment parsing in GitgCommand
· Set working directory, GIT_DIR and GIT_INDEX_FILE when running hooks
· Fixed arguments passed to log for first arg
· gitg.desktop.in.in: Remove deprecated Encoding key from .desktop file
· Fix parsing changed file lines with spaces in filename
· Improved autogen.sh
· Do not alter selection when commiting through icons
· Code cleanup in gitg-commit-view
· Do not use GtkMisc as it is getting deprecated.
· preferences dialog: fix expand issues.
· Use GtkBox instead of Gtk[HV]Box