Sprite2D is a Java framework for writing sprite-based games, such as turn based, card, and arcade games.
Audience: Java coders who are interested in creating robust games for cross platform targets.
Why: NPC Unlimited is a small company specializing in small games. We looked at potential frameworks / tools, and found that none were flexible enough to make all the games we wanted to create. And perhaps more importantly they were good at STARTING projects, but not as helpful when it came to completing them. Sprite2D is precisely the opposite; it may be a bit of work to get started, but completing the game is more straightforward. This is accomplished largely by requiring you to think about the design of the project prior to starting the code.
There are a set of GUI tools which help you create games
Here are some key features of "Sprite2D":
· Sprite Management
· Rendering (Java2d or OpenGL)
· Sprite Widgets (buttons, text, etc...)
· Visual editor for layout of game widgets.
· Collision Detection
· Java 2 Standard Edition Runtime Environment
· 50 MB Free Disk Space
· Java development environment
· NetBeans IDE
· IntelliJ IDEA
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· Added EventContainers
· Fixes to GuiTools
· Added SlidePuzzle. This change is substantial, and will cause multiple compile errors. If you have troubles porting, please contact Jeffg-npc.