SANE comes from "Scanner Access Now Easy" and is an application programming interface (API) that provides standardized access to any raster image scanner hardware (flatbed scanner, handheld scanner, video and still cameras, framegrabbers, etc.).
The SANE standard is public domain and its discussion and development are open to everybody. The source code is written for UNIX (including Linux) and is available under the GPL, but commercial applications and backends are welcome.
The package contains the libraries, net support, and scanimage. The X frontends xscanimage and xcam can be found in sane-frontends.
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· New backends: kvs20xx (Panasonic KV-S20xx), magicolor (Konica-Minolta).
· Significant enhancements to several backends.
· More than 80 new scanner models supported.
· Support many more networked scanners.
· Added -A option to scanimage.
· Improved build system.
· Improved USB support.
· Improved udev rules.
· Documentation updates.