STAF is a software testing automation framework.
The Software Testing Automation Framework (STAF) is an open source, multi-platform, multi-language framework designed around the idea of reusable components, called services (such as process invocation, resource management, logging, and monitoring). STAF removes the tedium of building an automation infrastructure, thus enabling you to focus on building your automation solution. The STAF framework provides the foundation upon which to build higher level solutions, and provides a pluggable approach supported across a large variety of platforms and languages.
STAF can be leveraged to help solve common industry problems, such as more frequent product cycles, less preparation time, reduced testing time, more platform choices, more programming language choices, and increased National Language requirements. STAF can help in these areas since it is a proven and mature technology, promotes automation and reuse, has broad platform and language support, and provides a common infrastructure across teams.
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· Modified the STAFLogViewer's "File" menu order and added a separator line (Bug #2412279)
· Updated the STAF Installation Guide's section on installing STAF as a Windows service by adding a note on how to fix a Java services RC 6 problem that can occur when you log off Windows (Bug #2494682)
· Made some improvements to the STAFDemo to make it a better example such as by using the existing STAFLogViewer class (Bug #2489076)
· Improved the error handling in the STAF unmarshall methods to not cause an error when invalid marshalled data is input (Bugs #2515811 and #2582649)
· Clarified that a FS COPY FILE request can copy only one file, but that a FS COPY DIRECTORY request can copy multiple selected files and supports wildcards (Bug #2543983)
· Changed HANDLE service's AUTHENTICATE and CREATE requests to only verify the local machine submitted the request, not to check for trust level 5 (Bug #2561191)
· Updated STAF Perl/Java/Python/Tcl User Guides to add SHELL option to some PROCESS START request examples (Bug #2591010) + Prevent the "Error binding server socket" error when restarting STAFProc by setting the SO_REUSEADDR socket option on (Feature #2607469) + Added support to recognize requests submitted to localhost aliases as local requests (Feature #2407852)
· Added a FAQ entry about Expect scripts failing on Linux when STAFProc has been started during system reboot (Bug #2590759) + Improved error handling and recovery in all the interfaces so that while making a connection, a request won't hang, and if possible, the connection will be re-attempted (Feature #2569883)
· Updated STAFEnv.sh to ignore the STAF instance name argument if it is equal to "start" (Bug #2597062)
· Fixed the STAF unmarshall methods so that it no longer gets into an infinite loop if certain invalid marshalled data is input (Bug #2634703) + Improved installation options for STAF Perl support (Feature #2565366)
· Updated the STAF Developer's Guide instructions for building OpenSSL on Windows (Bug #2669504)
· Fixed a problem where queuing a message by handle name doesn't return an error if one or more handles's queue are full or if no handles exist with the handle name (Bug #2672793) + Added support for creating a reference to a static handle in the Perl STAFHandle->new() function (Feature #2685625)
· Removed support for old operating systems, Win95/98/Me/NT and AIX 4.3.3, that have been sunset (Bug #2692247) = Moved the Linux AMD64 STAF build to a new build machine (Bug #2698493) + Added support for getting multiple messages off a handle's queue by adding the ALL and FIRST options to the QUEUE service's GET/PEEK requests which can improve performance (Feature #2616498)
· Fixed a problem on some Windows versions where a RESPOOL CREATE request that specified a pool name containing an invalid character, like a colon, didn't fail, even though the pool was not created correctly (Bug #2710588) + Added a retry if sending a process end notification message fails with a communication error, return code 22 (Feature #2703830)
· Updated the STAF InstallAnywhere installers to include a Java 5.0 bundled JVM (Bug #2710109)