libjpeg-turbo is a high-speed version of the libjpeg library, for x86 and x86-64 processors which uses SIMD instructions (MMX, SSE2, etc.) to accelerate baseline JPEG compression and decompression. libjpeg-turbo is generally 2-4x as fast as the unmodified version of libjpeg, all else being equal.
libjpeg-turbo was originally based on libjpeg/SIMD by Miyasaka Masaru, but the TigerVNC and VirtualGL projects made numerous enhancements to the codec, including improved support for Mac OS X, 64-bit support, support for 32-bit and big endian pixel formats (RGBA, ABGR, etc.), accelerated Huffman encoding/decoding, and various bug fixes. The goal was to produce a fully open source codec that could replace the partially closed source TurboJPEG/IPP codec used by VirtualGL and TurboVNC. libjpeg-turbo generally achieves 80-120% of the performance of TurboJPEG/IPP. It is faster in some areas but slower in others.
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· A build issue encountered when using YASM on Unix systems was fixed.
· An out-of-bounds read in the SSE2 SIMD code was fixed.
· New colorspace extension constants that allow applications to specify that the unused byte in a 4-byte RGB buffer should be treated as an alpha channel when decompressing were added.
· A regression issue encountered when building DevIL with libjpeg-turbo was fixed.
· iOS support was added to the libjpeg-turbo SDK for Mac.