libdvdcss is a cross-platform library for transparent DVD device access with on-the-fly CSS decryption. It currently runs under Linux, FreeBSD, NetBSD, OpenBSD, HP-UX, BSD/OS, Solaris, BeOS, Win95/Win98, Win2k/WinXP, MacOS X, QNX, and OS/2.
It is used by libdvdread and most DVD players such as VLC because of its portability and because, unlike similar libraries, it does not require your DVD drive to be region locked.
Here are some key features of "libdvdcss":
· Portability. Currently supported platforms are GNU/Linux, FreeBSD, NetBSD, OpenBSD, BSD/OS, BeOS, Windows 95/98, Windows NT/2000, MacOS X, Solaris, and HP-UX.
· Simplicity. There are currently 7 functions in the API, and we intend to keep this number low.
· Freedom. libdvdcss is released under the General Public License, ensuring it will stay free, and used only for free software products.
· Just better. Unlike most similar projects, libdvdcss doesn't require the region of your drive to be set.
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· This version improves RPC-II drive handling and contains a more robust keys retrieval mode.
· It also introduces fixes for MingW and OS/2 compilation, and has various bugfixes for small issues, memory leaks, crashes, and build issues.