kmd is a Python module that allows to easily build command-line driven shells with powerful TAB-completion capabilities.
The kmd.Kmd class derives from cmd.Cmd and modifies it in the following ways:
1. Instead of Python's readline module, kmd.Kmd uses the alternative rl readline bindings.
2. Setup and tear-down of the readline completer have been moved to preloop and postloop respectively. Subclasses must now make sure to call their parent's implementations.
3. Lines starting with '#' are treated as comments. The new comment method is invoked, passing the line as argument. By default this method clears the lastcmd.
4. Incomplete command names are automatically expanded given they are unique.
5. It is now possible to configure the shell_escape_characters. The default set is '!'.
6. If a history_file is configured, kmd.Kmd loads and saves the history during preloop and postloop.
7. The new run method encapsulates execution of a kmd.Kmd.
Implements the mechanics of a command shell, similar to cmd.Cmd.
Implements a set of ready-to-use completions.
Complete file and directory names.
Complete user names.
Complete environment variables.
Complete system commands.
from kmd.completions.filename import FilenameCompletion
from kmd.completions.environment import EnvironmentCompletion
self.completefilename = FilenameCompletion()
self.completeenviron = EnvironmentCompletion()
def do_echo(self, args):
os.system('echo ' + args)
def complete_echo(self, text, line, begidx, endidx):
def do_cat(self, args):
os.system('cat ' + args)
def complete_cat(self, text, line, begidx, endidx):
Also see gpgkeys, a front-end for GnuPG built entirely around tab completion.
kmd development is hosted on github.
kmd uses the rl library. Since rl contains a C extension, it is a good idea to review its installation instructions and make sure all dependencies are in place.
To install the kmd package, type:
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· String and filename quoting was not respected when Kmd.run was called with arguments. [stefan]
· Switch to a happier looking Sphinx theme. [stefan]
· Require rl >= 2.2. [stefan]