eGenix mxODBC Connect Client is an application that includes the client part of the eGenix.com mxODBC Connect Database Interface for Python.
The mxODBC Connect Database Interface for Python allows users to easily connect Python applications to all major databases on the market today in a highly portable, convenient and secure way.
Unlike our mxODBC Python extension, mxODBC Connect is designed as client-server application, so you no longer need to find production quality ODBC drivers for all the platforms you target with your Python application.
Instead you use an easy to install Python client library which connects directly to the mxODBC Connect database server over the network.
This makes mxODBC Connect the ideal basis for writing cross-platform database programs and utilities in Python, especially if you run applications that need to communicate with databases such as MS SQL Server, Oracle or DB2 that run on Windows or Linux machines.
This software is brought to you by eGenix.com and distributed under the eGenix.com Commercial License 1.2.0.
Here are some key features of "eGenix mxODBC Connect Client":
mxODBC Client API:
· mxODBC Connect Client provides the same interface as our stand-alone mxODBC interface on all supported client platforms.
· using an INI file or parameters.
· no need to worry about ODBC drivers for the client platform.
· porting existing mxODBC applications to mxODBC Connect is straight-forward and so is supporting both stand-alone mxODBC and mxODBC Connect in your client application for added flexibility.
· mxODBC Connect provides better performance compared to a stand-alone mxODBC + ODBC driver installation. We have measured more than 10 times better performance using SSL-encrypted mxODBC Connect with MS SQL Server running on Windows, compared to a non-encrypted mxODBC + FreeTDS ODBC driver setup on Linux connecting to the same database.
Enterprise Level Security:
· mxODBC Connect can use SSL encrypted connections - a feature that many database client interfaces don't provide.
· the client will automatically choose the next available and working server if you configure multiple servers.
Enhanced Query Performance:
· by running queries directly on the server rather than client machines, you directly benefit from the more powerful server hardware.
Python Database API 2.0 Compliance:
· the mxODBC Connect Client API is fully Python DB-API 2.0 compatible and implements a large number of powerful extensions.
ODBC Catalog & Introspection Functions:
· mxODBC Connect Client API provides methods e.g. to list tables, find column specifications, query index relationships, etc.
Dynamic ODBC Configuration:
· adjust ODBC connection parameters dynamically, e.g. set timeouts, read-only access, auto-commit, etc.
Full Unicode Support:
· use Unicode for managing text data in your client applications - even if the database does not natively support Unicode, mxODBC Connect will automatically provide the necessary conversions on-the-fly.
Configurable Data Type Mappings:
· Supports Python type binding and Database type binding.
· Supports mxDateTime and Python's time and datetime modules for date/time value exchange.
· Supports standard Python floats, integers, longs and Python's decimal module for loss-less numeric value exchange.
· Automatically handles and supports unknown data types and user data types via string conversion.
Full Python Support:
· mxODBC Connect Client works with Python 2.3, 2.4, 2.5 and 2.6 on 32-bit and 64-bit platforms - regardless of the server side platform.
Highly Portable Codebase:
· in addition to the already supported platforms for mxODBC Connect Client, we provide custom support for more exotic platforms.
· The evaluation licenses each permit installation on 1 CPU and allow up to 20 concurrent database connections. They have a built-in timeout of 30 days, but are otherwise fully functional.