VortexGE is a software 3D renderer for the X environment that was created without using OpenGL/MesaGL.
VortexGE project also supports 2D image manipulations and audio access and is intended for creating Linux games without needing 3D card acceleration.
Here are some key features of "VortexGE":
· Full software 3D renderer.
· Flat and gouroud shading with and without texture.
· 2D sprite in 3D scene.
· Camera control for 1st and 3rd person view.
· Simple fog and transparancy.
· Simple object hierarchy.
· 2D image manipulations.
· Simple dialog capability.
· Audio access using OSS.
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· The tarball distribution is now separated into two files: source with documentation and media.
· Many deprecated symbols and features were removed.
· VortexGE now would be correctly built using GCC 4.2.x and GCC 4.3.x.
· Lua 5.1.4 is now used as the scripting engine backend.
· The VDumpStack() function was improved a bit.
· Support for streaming Ogg-Vorbis audio as background music was added.