PETSc is a suite of data structures and routines for the scalable (parallel) solution of scientific applications modeled by partial differential equations.
PETSc library employs the MPI standard for all message-passing communication.
PETSc is easy to use for beginners. Moreover, its careful design allows advanced users to have detailed control over the solution process. PETSc includes a large suite of parallel linear and nonlinear equation solvers that are easily used in application codes written in C, C , Fortran and now Python.
PETSc provides many of the mechanisms needed within parallel application codes, such as simple parallel matrix and vector assembly routines that allow the overlap of communication and computation. In addition, PETSc includes support for parallel distributed arrays useful for finite difference methods.
Here are some key features of "PETSc":
· Parallel vectors
· scatters (handles communicating ghost point information)
· Parallel matrices
· several sparse storage formats
· easy, efficient assembly.
· Scalable parallel preconditioners
· Krylov subspace methods
· Parallel Newton-based nonlinear solvers
· Parallel timestepping (ODE) solvers
· Complete documentation
· Automatic profiling of floating point and memory usage
· Consistent interface
· Intensive error checking
· Portable to UNIX and Windows
· Over one hundred examples
· PETSc is supported and will be actively enhanced for many years.
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· Assorted bugfixes and documentation fixes.