Gtk2::Ex::DBITableFilter is a high level widget to present large amounts of data fetched using DBI. Also provides data filtering capabilities.
May be you are dealing with tons of relational data, safely tucked away in an RDBMS, accessible using DBI, and may be you would like to view them in a Gtk2 widget. The ideal widget (in most cases) is the Gtk2::TreeView or its younger cousin, the Gtk2::Ex::Simple::List.
But then you start worrying about questions like,
- How do I prevent the UI from hanging while reading all the data ?
- How do I present all the data in the TreeView without causing it to explode ?
Gtk2::Ex::DBITableFilter comes to rescue !!
Gtk2::Ex::DBITableFilter is a higher level widget built using Gtk2::Ex::Simple::List to achieve the following.
1. Ensure that arbitrary SQLs can be executed to fetch the data.
2. Ensure that UI does not hang while SQL is being executed.
3. Provide some kind of paging functionality. Do not display all fetched data in one shot, instead spread it into multiple pages with buttons to navigate between pages.
4. Provide some kind of data filtering capability. (Spreadsheets for example allow the user to filter the data by column using a dropdown box).