Distribute is a friendly fork of the setuptools utility. The Setuptools maintainer, Phillip J. Eby is not responsible of any aspect of this fork.
If you install Distribute and want to switch back for any reason to Setuptools, get to the Uninstallation instructions section.
About the installation process
The Distribute installer modifies your installation by de-activating an existing installation of Setuptools in a bootstrap process. This process has been tested in various installation schemes and contexts but in case of a bug during this process your Python installation might be left in a broken state. Since all modified files and directories are copied before the installation, you will be able to get back to a normal state by reading the instructions in the Uninstallation instructions section.
In any case, it is recommended to save you site-packages directory before you start the installation of Distribute.
Distribute is only released as a source distribution.
It can be installed using easy_install or pip, with the source tarball, with the eggs distribution, or using the distribute_setup.py script provided online.
distribute_setup.py is the simplest and preferred way on all systems.
Download distribute_setup.py and execute it, using the Python interpreter of your choice.
If your shell has the wget program you can do:
easy_install or pip
Run easy_install or pip:
pip install Distribute
Download the source tarball, and uncompress it, then run the install command:
tar -xzvf distribute-0.6.1.tar.gz
python setup.py install
Like other distutils-based distributions, Distribute doesn't provide an uninstaller yet. It's all manual !
Distribute is installed in three steps:
1- it gets out of the way an existing installation of Setuptools 2- it installs a fake setuptools installation 3- it installs distribute
Distribute can be removed like this:
* run easy_install -m Distribute. This will remove the Distribute reference from easy-install.pth or edit the file and remove it yourself.
* remove the distribute*.egg file located in your site-packages directory
* remove the setuptools.pth file located in you site-packages directory
* remove the easy_install script located in you sys.prefix/bin directory
* remove the setuptools*.egg directory located in your site-packages directory if any.
If you want to get back to setuptools:
* reinstall setuptools using its instruction.
* remove the .OLD. directory located in your site-packages directory if any, once you have checked everything was working correctly again.
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· Issue #328: Clean up temporary directories in distribute_setup.py.
· Fix fatal bug in distribute_setup.py.