Erubis is an implementation of eRuby.
eRuby means "embedded Ruby" in documents. Embedded patterns are '< % statement % >' and '< %= expression % >'. The following is an example of eRuby. '< % ... % >' means Ruby statement and '< %= ... % >' means Ruby expression.
Erubis is implemented in Ruby and is now ported into Java. You can use Erubis in Java with Rhino.
Here are some key features of "Erubis":
· Very fast, almost three times faster than ERB and about ten percent faster than eruby (implemented in C).
· File caching of converted Ruby script support.
· Auto escaping (sanitizing) support, it means that '' can be escaped in default. It is desirable for web application.
· Spaces around '' are trimmed automatically only when '' is at the end of line.
· Embedded pattern changeable (default ''), for example '[% %]' or '' are available.
· Enable to handle Processing Instructions (PI) as embedded pattern (ex. ''). This is desirable for XML/HTML than '' because the latter breaks HTML design but the former doesn't.
· Context object available and easy to combine eRuby template with YAML datafile (see the below example).
· Print statement available.
· Easy to expand and customize in subclass
· Print statement support
· Lines starting with percent character ('%') support
· Another embedded pattern support
· Ruby on Rails support.
· Mod_ruby support.
What's New in This Release:
· Improved support of Ruby on Rails 2.0.2.
· New class ActionView::TemplateHandlers::Erubis is defined and registered as default handler of *.html.erb and *.rhtml.