absence is a calendar tool written in Perl for keeping track of people (but could be adapted for any other object) on a daily basis.
It is meant to replace that ubiquitous whiteboard in the office of the boss.
You know the one, where someone has used a permanent magic marker to mark a matrix, and vacations/training/etc. are marked with non-permanent markers as blocks.
absence is a CGI system, and has a resolution of one day.
It is not intended to be used for keeping appointments or any other activity that requires a finer resolution.
It generates an image for each month to be displayed using the GD library, and it can be configured to produce PNG or GIF (or even JPEG).
· Module 'GD'
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
base on relational database:
· In versions previous to V2, various flat-files were used to store data (people/groups/types/holidays). As of V2, a relational database, PostgreSQL, now stores all data.
Reservation-Types configurable in management page:
· Previous to V2, reservation-types were configured by editing a file. In V2, they can be managed using the web interface.
multiple reservations per day per person:
· Before V2 it was only possible to make a single reservation for a person for a particular day. In V2 it is possible to configure Absence to allow multiple reservations per person per day. This means person-rows must have more vertical space ("height") to allow more than one reservation to be displayed. The height can be fixed or variable. If variable, a minimum and maximum can be specified. See the multiple-reservation demo below.
· Absence can be configured to use one of two modes to handle absence manipulations, server-side or client-side image maps.
server-side image maps:
· This is not well-tested in V2.0. I recommend using client-side image maps.
· The month-image is a link; operations on people in the group are performed by clicking on the image. The coordinates are used to determine the nature of the requested operation. Server-side image maps are simple and allow small web pages to be generated, however you must click on holidays and absences to get more information on them.
client-side image maps:
· The month-image is simply an image in conjunction with client-side image map which defines all possible areas where a click is meaningful. The advantage to client-side image maps is that tool-tips are used. The web pages generated using this method can be BIG.