PDesk is a desktop companion for Progect, written in Python/wxPython, running under linux and windows, maybe even MacOS.
PDesk is a simple project management program, that can sync with a palm under windows.
Syncing an outline is not an easy task. Try by yourself on a paper, you'll be surprised. Everything is quite straightforward when no task has moved. A changed task is easily identified, and the change can be reported to the other machine. But when it comes to moving a task, the problems begin. This leads to some limitations in the sync process :
- you can sync with two PC, but with further limitations
- if you move tasks on both the PC and the handheld between two hotsyncs, the handheld will be used as a reference to resolve the conflicts.
I had a look at how the other outliners deal with this problem. I found that some just don't let you move anything on the desktop (hard limitation), and some let you indent tasks more than it would logically be possible (too few control). I've chosen another way that may lead you to do manual cleaning after a syncronization. No method is perfect, I hope I didn't do the worst choice.
When syncing with two desktops (or more), there's another problem. There simply is no more reference to see what changed. The only supported way to do it is (1 PC at home, 1 PC at work, 1 handheld):
- starting at home, sync
- go to work by train, work on your handheld
- at work, first sync, the desktop is replaced by the handheld version
- work on your handheld, work on your PC
- on the way back home, work on your handheld
- at home, first sync, the desktop is replaced by the handheld version
If you modify the content of a PC version before having synced with it, the handheld will overwrite the PC version. Your changes to the desktop will be lost. But they are saved in a file of your backup directory. You can open it by :
- clicking on the 'File->Open' menu item
- going to the 'backup' subdirectory
- choosing a file named 'old_lbPG-project_name.pdk'
Then, copy the needed branches to the actual outline and sync one more time to apply the changes to the handheld.