Newton is a desktop wiki applet for the GNOME2 desktop environment.
For instance, if you want to make some bold text, you input **My Bold Text** and Newton will bold it for you. A pre-made wiki page called NewtonSyntax comes with the program that has example of all available formatting so that you can get started right away. Also, the editing screen displays a toolbar with tools to make formatting easy. You don't even have to know the syntax in order to get started!
You can see both the NewtonHome and NewtonSyntax files that are available in the development version by following the links to the "Previews" in the right column on this page. Both of these pages will appear just like they do in the program, in fact, they were created in Newton and exported using the "Export to HTML" feature. This will let you see what Newton is capable of as of now, and will also let you see what the wiki syntax used in the program is like (as shown in the NewtonSyntax page.
What's New in This Release:
· make schema install to /usr/share/gconf/schemas (.deb)
· install components to FHS friendly dirs
· confirm on cancel of modified buffer
· implement gtkspell workaround
· don't specify font size for monospace in edit view
· remove dependancy on pil
· use font-family instead of font in CSS for codeblock (thanks Artis)
· make lists containing code blocks work
· make code blocks not ignore leading whitespace