Wiaflos Accounting project is an attempt to create a multi-platform server-client based accounting system.
The goal is to have a central accounting engine which can either run on a dedicated server or on the same PC as the client interface. The accounting engine will provide a full SOAP API for easy writing of GUI/Web interfaces or tieing into inhouse systems. Seeing as the accounting engine is written in Perl and makes use of a database abstraction layer, the engine should run on nearly any operating system and use nearly any database system supported by Perl and the target OS.
We want this package to be of equal use to the one-man-show as a full accounting package running on a single PC aswell as to large multi-national corporate entities with dedicated accounting servers using the package as a fast stable accounting function, solution or full package.
Here are some key features of "Wiaflos Accounting":
· Wiaflos Accounting's core and engine is written in Perl. Perl is an interpreted programming language capable of running on many different platforms including Unix/Linux, Mac, Windows, BSD and many more.
· Wiaflos Accounting's database interface utilizes the Perl DBI module. This module allows Wiaflos Accounting to access multiple database types transparently, allowing you to utilize the database of your choice, be it MySQL, MSSQL, Oracle, Informix, Sybase or ODBC (or basically anything else).
Folding database transactions
· All modules use database transactions to ensure that if an error occurs everything is rolled back to a safe state. When different modules are integrated to provide functionality like invoicing and purchasing, there are sometimes quite a number of transactions involved which both update, insert and query data. The Wiaflos Accounting database engine automatically merges all transactions during a specific operation into one, this ensures a clean rollback should anything go wrong.
SOAP API (WebServices)
· The interface to Wiaflos Accounting is based on SOAP (Simple Object Access Protocol). The SOAP protocol is a critical communication protocol on the Internet due in large part to the fact that it has become native to so many development platforms, this allows Wiaflos Accounting the maximum benefit of integration and interpolation with other software packages. The SOAP API supports communication over HTTP and HTTPS and includes a full user-based access control system, allowing only certain users access to certain API functions.
· Not only does Wiaflos Accounting support SOAP, but it supports persistent SOAP sessions. Authentication is only required once, after that a session cookie is handed to the client application which can then be used in future function calls to authenticate.