OpenTaxSolver (OTS) project is a free program for calculating Tax Form entries and tax-owed or refund-due, such as Federal or State personal income taxes.
An optional graphical front-end, OTS_GUI, has been added. Currently, TaxSolver has been updated for the 2005 tax-year for the following forms: US 1040 and Schedules A, B, C, & D.
As well as for California, Massachusetts, New Jersey, and Pennsylvania State Taxes for 2005 tax-year, thanks to contributors. Updates for the following additional states are expected to be posted soon: North Carolina, New York, Ohio, and Virginia. Preliminary versions for Canada and the United Kingdom were posted in previous years and may be updated with help from volunteers.
- To make tax preparation software available for all platforms.
- To provide insight into how our taxes are calculated in clear unambiguous equations/code.
- To avoid invasive, bloated commercial software packages.
- To avoid rewriting our own individual programs each year by combining efforts.
- To provide a simple reliable tax-package requiring only rudimentary knowledge to maintain.
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· This version includes a fix in line 42 of the US Federal 1040 program, as well as additional worksheet printouts.
· Some further improvements have been made to the GUI appearance, and additional comments have been added on the 1040 template form.
· The comments indicate which boxes on W-2 form the line values should come from.