jMencode software is a simple Java front-end for the free and very useful MPlayer software, for the purpose of encoding video. Initially the focus is on converting DVD into MPEG-4. MPlayer and Mencoder are available under the GNU General Public License v2. Mencoder is primarily used on linux or related unix platforms, but there are binaries for running on windows also.
There are many freely available frontends for this kind of functionality. The purpose of this exercise is to create one that try to be as cross-platform and simple as possible. This means excluding the use if a piece of software like Avisynth, which in it's current version is only available for windows.
The software is usable and works, but still fairly basic in encoder options. Also users may have some problems getting nice versions Mplayer/mencoder that provide the x264 encoding. However, the software is under (intermittent) development and bug fix or feature requests will be responded to if possible.
Here are some key features of "jMencode":
· Load dvd (discs or as folders) or single files as inputs, Mencoder accepts a large variety of input file types
· Resize, crop and select frames to encode, with visual preview
· Encode to x264 (avc) or mpeg-4(asp) (xvid)
· Mux to mp4 or mkv container format, or just use avi
· Choose audio compression format, (eg. mp3/aac, or keep audio)
· Manual editing of video encoding parameters possible
jMencode is licensed under the GNU General Public License.
There are several ways to run this software:
· The simplest is to just double-click on the file 'JMencode.jar', if you have windows explorer set up to open the jar file using java
· or type the following at the console/terminal window inside this directory: java -jar JMencode.jar (this assumes that the path to the java jre is setup. If not, you will have to type the full location of the java.exe file). Use java -Xmx256m -jar JMencode.jar to allocate more memory for runtime.
What's New in This Release:
· can now do flv encoding (experimental)
· output path should work correctly this time, you can save anywhere
· some validation checks added