xine is a free (gpl-licensed) high-performance, portable and reusable multimedia playback engine. xine itself is a shared library with an easy to use, yet powerful api which is used by many applications for smooth video playback and video processing purposes.
Here are some key features of "Xine":
· xine is fast:
· All included decoders are optimized to use MMX, MMXEXT, SSE and 3DNow! acceleration if available. The well designed architecture moves data efficiently across plugins without requiring extra memory copies to be made. Multi-threaded implementation provide big gains on SMP systems.
· xine is extensible:
· Plugins are probed on startup and new ones may be installed from third party (although the most important are already provided).
· xine is reusable:
· All described features are available from a library and may be called from other applications. A default X11 GUI (xine-ui) is available but any other frontend can use the xine-lib too. There are several of them already available: gtk (gxine and sinek), gnome2 (Totem), gtk2 (GQoob), scriptable console (toxine), kde (kxine), kdemultimedia (xine aRts plugin) and even a Netscape/Mozilla plugin. (some frontends may be at beta stage)
· Skinnable GUI
· Download and installation of new skins from the internet
· Navigation controls (seeking, pause, fast, slow, next chapter, etc)
· Linux InfraRed Control support (LIRC)
· On Screen Display features
· DVD and external subtitles
· DVD/VCD menus
· Audio and subtitle channel selection
· Closed Caption support
· Brightness, contrast, audio volume, hue, saturation adjusting (requires hardware/driver support)
· Image snapshot
· Audio resampling
· Software deinterlacing algorithms
· 2-3 pulldown detection (tvtime plugin)
· Configuration dialog
· Aspect ratio changing
· Fullscreen display
· DTS passthrough
· TV fullscreen support using nvtvd
· Streaming playback support
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· Build fixes related to ImageMagick 6.4 & later.
· Fix an error in Matroska PTS calculation.
· Some front ends hang due to the hang fixes in 1.1.16. Fix this by removing a break statement.
· Fix broken size checks in various input plugins (ref. CVE-2008-5239).
· More malloc checking (ref. CVE-2008-5240).
· Fix race conditions in gapless_switch (ref. kde bug #180339)
· Fix a possible integer overflow in the 4XM demuxer. (TKADV2009-004.txt)