xawtv started as TV application for the bttv driver, because the Motif-based "xtvscreen" was the only TV application at this time. Alot has changed since:
· The xawtv and bttv driver switched over to the video4linux interface.
· Support for more interfaces was added: Xvideo Extention, the new video4linux2 interface and BSD Family video grabber driver (bktr).
· xawtv isn't a single application any more, it is a small suite of video4linux related software, with video recording capabilities and serveral useful command line tools.
· In the future even more hardware will be supported, the current development snapshots already have DVB support for example.
Here are some key features of "XawTV":
· of course, it is still the main application, for watching TV.
· a new, IMHO better, TV application with a Motif-based GUI.
· a teletext browser, also uses Motif. This one works on a terminal too.
· a simple movie player.
· is a TV application for the linux console, it uses a framebuffer devices to display the video.
· a command line tool for recording movies.
· a command line tool to set video4linux parameters (tune in some channel, set TV norm, ...).
· a command line tool to do a channel scan.
· a simple, curses-based radio app.
· captures images and uploads them to a Web-Server via ftp or ssh in a endless loop.
· a http server for videotext pages, so you can watch read videotext with a webbrowser.
· Most of the apps share the xawtv config file (~/.xawtv).