Kino is a non-linear DV editor for GNU/Linux.
You can load multiple video clips, cut and paste portions of video/audio, and save it to an edit decision list (SMIL XML format). Most edit and navigation commands are mapped to equivalent vi key commands.
Also, Kino can export the composite movie in a number of formats: DV over IEEE 1394, Raw DV, DV AVI, still frames, WAV, MP3, Ogg Vorbis, MPEG-1, MPEG-2, and MPEG-4. Still frame import and export uses gdk-pixbuf, which has support for BMG, GIF, JPEG, PNG, PPM, SVG, Targa, TIFF, and XPM. MP3 requires lame. Ogg Vorbis requires oggenc. MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 require mjpegtools or ffmpeg. MPEG-4 requires ffmpeg.
The current release introduces an experimental fx module, which is accessed from the FX tab in the main window. It provides some basic audio and video fx such as importing, filters and transitions for audio and video. It also provides some basic plug-in functionality to allow third party extension.
Currently, Kino does not support other video file formats or encodings. It does not support multiple layers or tracks of video and audio. We plan to implement most of these features, but first we chose to focus on the basics of IEEE-1394, video, audio, and file input and output. We place a lot of emphasis on quality, stability, performance, and workflow.
- Free Software (GNU GPL)
- GTK+ 2.0 (GNOME) UI
- XML (SMIL like) project file format
- OSS audio
- GDK or XVideo
- online help
- Peer and developer support forums
- User interface translated to Danish, Swedish, French, Czech, and Spanish.
- Extensible project metadata system.
- Ability to "publish" project file and still frames using an extensible scripting interface.
- Media Support:
- DV-based (libdv codec)
- PAL or NTSC
- AVI (type1 or type2) or Raw DV files. with large AVI (OpenDML) and LFS (>2GB) support
- IEEE 1394 (Linux 1394) capture and export
- IEEE 1394 transport control (AV/C)
- USB Jog/Shuttle transport control
- Fast and frame-accurate navigation/scrubbing
- vi keybindings
- GUI transport controls, scrub bar, and shuttle control
- Storyboard view with drag-n-drop
- Trimmer with 3 point insert editing
- Fine-grain thumbnail viewer (Timeline, but not a typical NLE timeline)
- Drag-n-drop from file manager
- USB Jog/Shuttle input
- Undo/Redo up to 99X
- IEEE 1394 DV Export
- Export audio as WAV, Ogg Vorbis (oggenc), MP3 (lame), or MP2 (mp2enc)
- Export (and import) multiple still frames as JPEG, PNG, TIFF, PPM, and others
- Export audio/video as MPEG-1, MPEG-2, and MPEG-4 (with mjpegtools or ffmpeg)
- Export raw DV via pipe, which is extensible with shell scripts.
- Effects General:
- Background generator: solid colour, gradient, colour range, noise, and image import
- Effects preview
- Effects plugin API (API not yet stable)
- Video Filters:
- Sepia tone
- Reverse (i.e. inverse or negative)
- Swap (flip)
- Video Transitions:
- Fade to/from colour
- Push Wipe
- Barn Door Wipe
- Colour Differences (and Similarities)
- Audio Filters:
- Fade In/Out
- Audio Transitions:
- Dub (from external file)
- Mix (from external file)
our in-depth analysis
In a hurry? Add it to your Download Basket!
What's New in This Release:
- New Slovenian translation
- Build and export fixes