mtPaint is designed for creating icons and pixel based artwork. mtPaint can edit indexed palette or 24 bit RGB images and offers basic painting and palette manipulation tools.
Its main file format is PNG, although it can also handle JPEG, GIF, TIFF, BMP, XPM and XBM files. Due to its simplicity and lack of dependencies it runs well on GNU/Linux, Windows and older PC hardware.
Here are some key features of "mtPaint":
· Edit indexed palette or 24 bit RGB images.
· Load & Save PNG, GIF, JPEG, TIFF, BMP, XPM and XBM files.
· Paint using tools and patterns in one simple main window.
· Protect certain colours on the canvas from being painted over.
· Manipulate digital photos : Crop, scale, rotate, sharpen, soften, emboss, change brightness / contrast / saturation / gamma.
· Up to 100 undo levels.
· Multiple image clipboard.
· View images between 10% and 2000% of their original size.
· English (UK) language by default, Spanish and Czech translations via gettext system (GTK+1: ISO-8859-1 & ISO-8859-2 GTK+2: UTF-8).
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· This version adds multithreadeding multicore CPUs, tools for image segmentation and for approximating gradients, dynamic previews in color selectors, a dock area, a color chooser popup, autoscrolling, auto-resizing toolbars, support for the PBM/PGM/PPM/PAM, PCX, and SVG image formats and for color profiles in images, loading of animated GIFs and multipage TIFFs into layers, palette extraction from images, "snap to grid", some new keyboard shortcuts, and numerus speedups and improvements.
· New Hungarian and Tagalog translations have been added, most other translations updated, and many bugs fixed.