gqviewarc is an archive handler for GQview.
gqviewarc is an LD_PRELOAD module that makes GQview image viewer treat archives (ZIP, RAR and maybe more) as directories. It may also be applicable in other domains where transparent stream read access to archived files is needed.
This module invokes external de-archivers, namely, "unzip" and "unrar", to extract data from archives. You may change their behavior by setting relevant environment variables.
From the view of an application:
· All archives with one of the recognized extensions (e.g., .zip, .rar) appear as directories.
· All files in an archive appears to be in the same directory, regardless of the hierarchy in the archive. The path of archived files, including directory separator '/', becomes part of file names.
· A number followed by a tab character is inserted at the beginning the name of an archived file. The number is used to group files by their directory locations in the archive. It prevents GQview from mixing files from different directories in performing sorting.
Run "make" to compile the module.
Copy "gqviewarc.so" to the directory of your choice (e.g., "/usr/local/lib/").
Set the LD_PRELOAD environment variable to the path to "gqviewarc.so"
before running the application that needs transparent archive read access.
What's New in This Release:
· Link with -ldl.
· Use any of "unrar" and "rar" to extract RAR files.
· Support child processes created by applications.
· Add some handling of the large file API. Presumably more applications are supported.