comic2email is a script which will leech your favourite web based comics and drop them into your inbox.
For a few years I have been using increasingly sophisticated email systems to store important data. Imap is a wonderful thing although I am currently slumming it with pop3 again to get gmails wonderful filtering.
This is one more example of this. Instead of chasing web comics why not have them delivered to you. Why not use rss I ask you, well I used to but many comics have inadequate feeds and I still have to chase the content.
Won’t the artists starve, I hear. Well no because every email contains a link direct to the comics online shop or donation page.
Every bodies a winner with comic2email. Download your copy today.
Requirements are python, email server (to send mail, sendmail compatable) and a net connection. Every modern *nix system should already have the requirements no need for large downloads to get a little bit of software.
Comics are downloaded using a regular expression and it takes around 2 mins to add a new comic. The default installation includes User Friendly, PC Weenies and Penny Arcade.
Below are a few more comics you might enjoy. Cut and paste into the config file to add new comics.
What's New in This Release:
· This release adds "debug", "test single comic", and "verbose" modes, and an RFC2068-compliant user-agent.
· Running is now silent in normal mode, with only errors reported to stdout.
· The X-Mailer email header is now set correctly.
· The executable has been renamed c2e, in line with similar Unix tools.
· Messages are now in mixed mode HTML+text+attachment.
· This release supports 3,000 web comics, and logs network and regexp errors and continues.