GIMP (GNU Image Manipulation Program) is a freely distributed and open source software that can be used for image manipulation tasks, such as as photo retouching, image composition and image authoring.
GIMP works on many operating systems and it is translated in many languages. It has many capabilities. It can be used as a simple paint program, an expert quality photo retouching program, an online batch processing system, a mass production image renderer, an image format converter, etc.
GIMP is expandable and extensible. It is written and developed under X11 on UNIX platforms.
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· Move the OSX gimpdir to "~/Library/Application Support"
· Better names for the default filters in save and export
· Make tool drawing (esp. the brush outline) much more responsive
· Remember the "maximized" state across sessions
· Simplify the splash image code a lot, makes it appear immediately again
· Allow the text tool to start on an image without layers
· Various fixes for text style attribute handling
· Set unconfigured input devices to eraser if GTK+ says they are erasers
· Make language selectable in Preferences on OSX
· Make libgimp drawable combo boxes aware of layer groups
· Make sure plug-in windows appear on top on OSX
· Fix item width in GimpPageSelector (used e.g. in PDF import)
· Better default values in the Drop Shadow script
· Fix a whole bunch of bugs in the BMP plug-in
· On OSX, use the system's screenshot utility
· Add Brazilian-Portuguese translation to the Windows installer
Source and build system:
· Many improvements to the OSX bundle build system
· Support automake 1.13
· Lots of bug fixes
· Lots of translation updates