Quad-ren is a resolution independent 2D graphics engine which focuses on minimalism and follows the suckless philosophy. The apps created with Quad-ren are always resizeable, either running in a window or full screen, allowing them to work flawlessly with a wide range of screen resolutions as well as with tiling window managers.
Quad-ren utilises modern graphics hardware provide RGBA bitmap drawing capability's with high performance rotation and scaling. It is written in and usable from the C++ programming language with a simple object oriented API and a clean, hackable code base.
If you are new to the graphics engine and want a general overview, please take a look at the tutorials section.
Here are some key features of "Quad-Ren":
· Resolution independence
· Well documented source code
· Small code base
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· To begin with, the whole API has bean moved into the 'qr' name space, which unfortunately causes a break of backwards compatibility again. Also the build system has bean changed from GNU Autotools to CMake, please uninstall version 0.4 using the make uninstall target or delete /usr/lib/libquad-ren.* and /usr/include/quad-ren before installing 0.5 to avoid problems.
· A scene graph has bean added, previously all scene nodes were a child of the resource manager, now they can also be children of other scene nodes allowing a scene graph to be built. Children of other scene nodes are transformed relative to there parents.
· Along with the scene graph, scene graph variables have also bean introduced. These allow data to be moved between scene nodes without introducing globals. These variables are scoped lexically within the context of the scene graph. This has allowed animator and event receiver objects to be separated into two different classes increasing code modularity.
· To demonstrate the usage of Quad-ren in the development of actual games, another example program has bean added. This consists of an implementation of the classic 'Pong' game. Along with this game, a new scene node has bean added, qr::circle.
· This release also fixes anti aliasing bug which caused crashes on Intel graphics cards. Anti-aliasing has now bean exported into the API and is automatically disabled when it is not supported by the hardware.