Krita 2.8.3 / 2.9 Beta 2
Add it to your Download Basket!
Add it to your Watch List!
What's new in Krita 2.9 Beta 2:
- Fixes and improvements with how actions and shortcuts are managed. This will help fix a lot of shortcut conflicts that existed in the past. Actions and functionality are smarter now as well. This means that buttons and menu items will be disabled/enabled when they are not available. (eg. You cannot change the canvas size if there is no documents open).
- add drag and drop when there are no documents open
- make the background configurable with a color or image (located in Settings > Configure Krita)
- fixed a lot of multiple document bugs
- LICENSE TYPE:
- GPL (GNU General Public License)
- OUR RATING:
- DEVELOPED BY:
- Krita Team
- USER RATING:
- ROOT \ Multimedia \ Graphics
Features at a glance
The application features painting tools with brushes and colors, support for layers and channels, gradients, airbrush, erase tool, simple geometric forms, undo and redo support, zoom, color selections, as well as many filters. In addition, it allows users to create brushes from squares and circles, load and save images in the app’s native file format, add, merge, reorder and remove layers, or to load GIMP brushes, pipe brushes, patterns and gradients.
The program also allows users to use patterns and colours for filling the background, import and export images in any other format that is supported by the ImageMagick program, create layers with transparency, use RGB(A), gray(A) and color models, use high-quality scaling, and much more. Another interesting feature is the ability to work with Wacom tablets, which makes this application perfect for processional graphicians who want to create amazing artwork for blockbuster video games.
Distributed as part of Calligra
Since KOffice has been transformed into the well known Calligra office suite, the application is now distributed as part of the latter. However, it still requires many KDE packages and libraries, which can be annoying for users of the GNOME, Xfce, LXDE and Enlightenment desktop environments.
It's similar to Photoshop
Its user interface is familiar to those who worked with professional, yet commercial image editing applications, such as Photoshop, or even the single-window mode of open source the GIMP (GNU Image Manipulation Program) software.
Included in SteamOS
Recently, the Krita application has been selected for inclusion in the Steam gaming platform and the SteamOS Linux operating system. It is the best digital painting for the GNU/Linux platform, without any doubt.
Krita was reviewed by Marius Nestor, last updated on January 15th, 2015