K3D is a very easy to use 3D modling program.
K-3D features a robust, object oriented plugin architecture, designed to scale to the needs of professional artists. It is designed from the ground up to generate motion picture quality animation using RenderMan compliant render engines.
We strongly recommend the Aqsis render engine for use with K-3D.
Here are some key features of "K3D":
· Procedural modeling and animation.
· Interactive tutorials.
· Unlimited hierarchical undo/redo.
· Camera: pan/tilt, zoom, dolly, modeling and tripod modes.
· Viewing Modes: Detailed selection of visible features.
· Hide / unhide geometry.
· Powerful scene graph Procedural Modeling with complete modeling history.
· Selection: Objects, meshes, faces, edges, patched, curves, point groups, points.
· Geometry types: Polygon, NURBS, subdivision, blobby.
· 3D Primitives: Cone, circle, cushion, cylinder, disk, grid, paraboloid, polyhedron, sphere, torus.
· Boolean modeling operations (using GTS library).
· Text: FreeType2 support.
· Instantiation: Create duplicates without adding gemometry to the scene.
· Directed Graph allows arbitrary dataflow - any object property can be connected to any other compatible property.
· Animate any value.
· Unlimited number of animation channels.
· Bezier curve channels.
· Animate modeling operations.
Materials and Textures
· Textures with 16-bit float bitdepth.
· Procedual RenderMan shaders.
· Full RenderMan Support: Aqsis, Pixie, BMRT, PRman, 3Delight, Render Dot C.
· Extensible support for alternate render engines and models: YafRay.
· Render OpenGL previews to disk.
· Python Engine (preferred engine for new script development).
· K3DScript engine (minimal scripting engine for tutorials / macros).
· Support for alternate script engine plugins and environments.
· Basic 2D compositing.
· Bitdepth 16-bit float per channel.
· Geometry Formats: Wavefront OBJ, GTS and a raw format are fully supported, other ones are optional and depend on PLIB installation. Experimental plugins include OpenFX, OFF, RIB and X formats.
· JPEG (all platforms).
· PNG (all platforms).
· TIFF (all platforms).
· OpenEXR (requires optional OpenEXR plugin).
· BMP (requires optional ImageMagick plugin).
· SUN (requires optional ImageMagick plugin).