pypod is python library and script for managing iPod metadata. This project is similar in scope the gnupod (written in perl) and is designed to work well with other programs that generate iPod metadata.
Here are some key features of "pypod":
· 100% pure python
· full read/write support for the iTunesDB file format
· support for gtkpod-style extended metadata
· support for gnupod-style extended metadata
· support for reading rhythmbox music database
· full ID3v2 support via any one of the ID3 liraries for python
The pypod script is very simple to use. If your iPod is mounted anywhere other than /media/ipod set the IPOD_MOUNTPOINT environment variable and run "pypod -s" for a summary of the state of your iPod.
Then try things like:
$ pypod --add /path/to/some/music
$ pypod --find-orphans
$ pypod --help
What's New in This Release:
· Support for newer iTunesDB files (such as those on the iPod Nano) was added.
· An --extract option for retrieving tracks from an iPod was added.
· Initial support for AAC files was added.
· Support for parsing (but not writing) podcast playlists was implemented.
· ASCII and lowercase filenames are now always used on iPods and spaces are removed from filenames.
· Some bugs were fixed.